Do I have to be accepted in my performance area as an undergraduate, or can I just be a Music Education major?

Yes, you have to be accepted into the Conservatory in your performance area. The Peabody Music Education degree program works with the strengths of the individual musician to develop their teaching skills. Our graduates are teachers and musicians.

How many students are in the undergraduate Music Education program?

It varies from year to year. Individual classes (freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior) have anywhere from four to twelve students. Our average for the undergraduate music education division size is 28.

Will I be able to get a teaching position when I graduate?

MOST DEFINITELY! All of our graduates since 1984 who have applied for teaching positions (if they apply in a timely manner) have secured teaching positions. Other students pursue master’s degrees in performance, music education or other areas. Our graduates include elementary instrumental and general music teachers; secondary general, vocal, and instrumental teachers; and college educators as well as performers with professional ensembles.

Will I be treated differently in my applied lessons because I am a music education major?

Absolutely not. Because of the Conservatory requirements, each and every student, is expected to uphold the same performance standard.

How is a Peabody Music Education degree unique?

One of the most unique features of the program is the one-on-one teaching/learning experience. We video-record all of the conducting, elementary general methods, and elementary instrumental methods teaching experiences. (These experiences occur in the public or private schools in the metro area. You will be teaching once a week, starting out with a short lesson, then working up to a complete lesson.) The student meets with the instructor after each teaching/conducting session for feedback on how that individual student can be a better teacher. The one-on-one contact allows us to hone each individual’s teaching skills based on their individual strengths and weaknesses.

Will I be able to teach in other states with a Peabody Music Education degree?

Yes you will. When you receive a Music Education degree, you also complete the paperwork for the Maryland State Teaching Certificate. The state of Maryland currently reciprocates with more than 35 states. You may have to take a state history course within the first year or two of teaching in another state to fulfill their requirements, but if it is a reciprocal state, you can start teaching as soon as you graduate.