The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended in 2008, includes many student disclosures and reporting requirements by universities. These requirements include statistics and/or information on the following subjects:

  1. Retention and graduation rates;
  2. Financial assistance available to students and requirements and restrictions imposed on Title IV aid;
  3. Crime statistics on campus;
  4. Athletic program participation rates and financial support; and
  5. Other institutional information including: the cost of attendance, accreditation and academic program data, facilities and services available to disabled students, and withdrawal and refund policies.

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Affairs by phone at 667-208-6700.

General Institutional Information

Admissions and Institutional Information Contact

COVID Vaccination Policy

For Help in Obtaining Financial Aid Information

Academic Programs

Programs of Study

Instructional Facilities

The Faculty

Written Arrangements

Peabody, as a division of Johns Hopkins, is part of the Baltimore Collegetown Network.  Full-time sophomores, juniors, and seniors may take one for-credit course per semester at one of the other participating institutions.  A course taken at another school operates by the policies and on the schedule of the host institution, but the grade is articulated to the student’s academic record by the policies of the Peabody Conservatory.   For more information about taking a class at a nearby college, see:

Student Body Diversity for Peabody Conservatory

Please visit the Johns Hopkins University Office of Institutional Research Enrollment page for information on diversity statistics.

Percentage of enrolled, full-time students who receive a Federal Pell Grant, FALL 2023: 7%

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)


Peabody Release of Education Record Form

Services/Facilities Available to Students With Disabilities

State Licensing and Accrediting Authorities


State Authorization

Textbook Information

Transfer of Credit Policy

Sources of Credit

Students must complete most of the requirements for a degree or diploma through credits earned for courses taken at Peabody as a matriculated student.However, students may transfer some credits taken at accredited post-secondary schools or through the accelerated testing of recognized providers (such as the College Board or International Baccalaureate).


Like most conservatories, Peabody does not accept transfer credits for lessons, juries or recitals. For transfer students, the year of study (sophomore or junior) is determined by the department at the time of the audition and validated by the year-end departmental jury. Peabody does not accept transfer credits for Ensembles. Performance majors must participate in ensembles in every semester of instruction. Transfer students must participate in ensembles for at least two years.

Distance Learning

It is a policy of the Johns Hopkins University that students may not take online courses from another institution while taking classes during the regular fall or spring semesters. Over intersession and the summer, students may take online courses provided the courses are offered by an accredited institution.

Transfer Credits

All other transfer credits are accepted pending the submission of the necessary documentation to the Conservatory Registrar and at the discretion of department chairs in consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Peabody can only transfer credits for students who have already matriculated into degree or diploma programs.New students are welcome to contact us before enrolling, but cannot begin the process until students enroll in classes.

Undergraduate Students

Accelerated Credit

For undergraduate students, accelerated work in high school is only accepted on the basis of an examination that is documented with scores mailed directly to the Conservatory Registrar. Superior scores of either a 4 or a 5 on the Advanced Placement Examinations or a 50 on the CLEP, administered by the College Board, or a 6 or 7 on the International Baccalaureate Exam may be accepted. Credits for courses taken at another accredited college or university may only be accepted on receipt of a transcript demonstrating a grade of “C” or better.

The requirements for each area of study are detailed as follows:

Music Theory

The Department of Music Theory does not accept transfer credits at the undergraduate level. Advanced placement in music theory is only possible on the basis of the Advanced Placement Undergraduate Exam in Music Theory (AP-UGrad) during Orientation, which includes part-writing, analysis, and counterpoint. Samples of this examination are available from the Admissions Office or

Music History

The Musicology Department considers transfer credits on a case-by-case basis. Undergraduates may not apply more than two courses from other institutions towards their Peabody undergraduate degrees, and they must receive at least a “B” in any courses transferred. Advanced Placement courses in musicology or music history cannot be counted toward the undergraduate musicology curriculum.


For Humanities, advanced placement and transfer determinations are made by the Humanities Department chair in consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.The Humanities department will only accept six credits of AP, IB, or CLEP work for the Humanities curriculum. However, the Associate Dean may approve additional credits as general electives.

Transfer credits from an accredited college or university that fulfill humanities distribution requirements are also accepted. Students should confer with the Humanities Department chair to review the articulation of credits from other schools and how it affects their curriculum.

Because the State of Maryland requires specific coursework for teacher certification, the Music Education faculty directly oversees the Humanities curriculum for students in the Music Education program. Music Education students should contact the Chair of Music Education about transferring AP or IB credits and consult with the chair before enrolling in liberal arts courses at other institutions.

General Electives

Additional AP, IB, or CLEP credits as well as credits taken at other accredited colleges may be transferred as general electives, pending approval of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Graduate Students

A maximum of six credits of graduate study completed at other accredited institutions may be applied to degree or diploma programs at Peabody, with the review and approval of department chairs and the Associate Dean. Only credits which have not been earned in fulfillment of a previous degree may be transferred.All credits transferred to a graduate degree or diploma program must have been earned within five years prior to first graduate degree registration at Peabody.

Continuing Graduate Students

Peabody alumni continuing to subsequent programs of study or Peabody students transferring between programs (e.g., from the GPD to the MM program) may transfer more than six credits of work competed at Peabody with the permission their major teachers and the oversight of the Associate Dean. Only credits which have not been earned in fulfillment of a previous degree may be transferred between programs.In some cases, the Associate Dean may refer such transfers to the Graduate Committee or the Doctoral Committee for advice and consent.

Withdrawal Procedures

A Leave Of Absence (LOA) is an approved interruption of a degree program that is subject to a fixed duration and/or specific requirements for return. A withdrawal is a complete departure from the Conservatory and its degree programs and can only be reversed through the mechanisms of re-audition and petition of the relevant academic committee.

Students wishing to take a Leave Of Absence or completely withdrawal from the Conservatory should contact the Student Affairs Office.

Tuition Refund Policy

Tuition Refund Schedule for Withdrawals

Week# Refund Schedule Fall 2024 Deadline Spring 2025 Deadline
Prior to Start of Semester – End of Week 2 100% September 8 February 3
Week 3 90% September 15 February 10
Week 4 80% September 22 February 17
Week 5 70% September 28 February 24
Week 6 60% October 6 March 3
Week 7 50% October 13 March 10
Week 8 40% October 20 March 17
Week 9 – End of Semester No Refund October 21 and later March 18 and later

Students withdrawing after classes have begun are liable for that portion of their tuition that has not been canceled. Requests to withdraw from the Peabody Institute must be made in writing, via the Office of Academic Affairs, and will not become effective until confirmed by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

For more about the cost of attendance at the Peabody Conservatory, please visit our cost of attendance page.

Residence Hall Refund Schedule For Withdrawals 2024-25

Per the terms of the housing contract, a student who takes a leave or withdraws from Peabody will receive a per-week prorated refund until the end of the 10 week of the semester.

Before October 26 (Fall) and March 28 (Spring) Fees prorated proportionately
After October 26 (Fall) and March 28 (Spring) No refund

All refunds are subject to the terms of the student’s signed housing contract.

Graduate/Professional Programs that Peabody Graduates Enroll In

Graduate and professional education information was provided by Peabody students who graduated in May 2020. Of the 70 students who responded from an exit survey administered in May 2020, 44% (31 students) stated that they will be enrolled in a full-time graduate or professional school in the fall of 2020.

Student Financial Assistance Information

Student Financial Aid Assistance Available

Student Financial Aid Eligibility

Cost of Attendance

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Student employment information

Federal Student Loan Exit Counseling 

Student Loan Information

Student Loan Disbursement Information

Peabody’s Net Price Calculator

Summary of Requirements for Return of Federal Grants or Loans

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Using Federal Aid to Purchase Books/Supplies

Financial Aid Code of Conduct

Student Outcomes

Graduation Rates

Cohort Year 4-Year Graduation 6-Year Graduation
Fall 2017 49.3%* 75.3%

*4-year Graduation rates reflect the impact of COVID-19 on student enrollments.

Retention Rates for First-Time Full Time Students

Freshman to Sophomore retention, 2022 cohort: 95%

Placement Rates

Employment information was collected in an exit survey from the graduating class of 2020. Of the students who graduated in May 2020 who responded to the survey, almost all selected multiple options for career-related activities post-graduation, with 57% reporting some type of teaching, 28% working in Audio Recording/Engineering, 38% Composing/Arranging, and 25% reporting employment in Arts Management/Administration or some other arts-related field. 18% of respondents reported employment in a non-arts related field.