Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I find a list of my requirements?

Consult the Academic Catalog for your major or program of study. Please note, your requirements are those of your year of entry to Peabody and thus not necessarily for the current academic year. You can also refer to your Degree Audit, available to new students in late August, in the JHU Student Information System (SIS).

When do classes start? Where can I find important dates and deadlines?

The start of classes and other important academic dates and deadlines are located in the Academic Calendar.

When do I register?

All new incoming students register shortly before the start of the fall semester via SIS. At that time, you will log in with your JHED and password and self-enroll in most classes. Prior to that, new students participate in remote online advising to learn how to develop their schedule of courses and use the registration system.

How do I search for classes offered at Peabody and JHU?

Use the Class Search function in SIS to look up classes and find information about class times, enrollment, and professors.

How do I register for a chamber music ensemble?

Please visit the Chamber Music Registration page for directions on how to register for a small chamber ensemble.

How do I take lessons on an instrument or area different from my major?

Students may register for half-hour or hour-long Minor Lessons. Please note, your preferred teacher may not be available for these lessons. Students are charged an additional fee for Minor Lessons. You may register for these lessons during Orientation week by visiting the Registrar on the second floor of Austrian Hall.

How do I take classes at Homewood, Carey, or SAIS?

Students may request to take classes at another JHU division by using the  Interdivisional Request Form. First-semester, first-year students* may begin taking a class at another division starting their second semester of study. (*Dance students exempted.) The host school will coordinate your enrollment shortly before the start of the new semester.

How can I transfer my AP or IB scores?

Peabody accepts AP or higher level (HL) IB scores for some subjects. Students should make sure an official score report from the College Board (for AP scores) has been sent to Peabody using the CEEB code 5532 or an official transcript (for IB scores) has been sent to the Peabody Registrar. AP/IB credits are typically added to students’ records in October or November and students may visit Peabody Advising during that time to inquire about transferring credit. For additional information, consult the Academic Catalog.

I have a question about Housing and Residence Life, where should I go?

Contact Dan Pretz, Associate Director of Residential Life.

I have a question about Student Health Insurance, where should I go?

See information in SEAM and get help through its “request support” function.

I have a question about Financial Aid or my scholarship, where should I go?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office at [email protected].

I have a question about my visa, where should I go?

Contact the Office of International Students.