plus📅TriangleTriangleclockplusemailoutfaxinstagramlocationGroup 13phonepinterestplayplus💲search

What do I wear to rehearsals?

Neat, comfortable, casual clothing is generally the best attire for rehearsals. Avoid excesses in style which might be a distraction to the other members of your ensemble. One special note: in most cases at Peabody the term “dress rehearsal” does not imply that you are required to be present in your concert attire—it merely indicates the rehearsal(s) that immediately precede a concert performance.

What do I wear to concerts?

The Concert Attire Guidelines are strongly enforced to ensure that everyone in the ensemble is dressed professionally and uniformly for performances. If in doubt as to what to wear, you should stay as conservative as possible. Any students who arrive for a concert improperly dressed will be sent home to change or, if this is not possible, will have their grade automatically lowered and may be pulled from the concert. Consistent failure to maintain a professional appearance in performance will have a negative effect upon one’s grade.

What should I not wear to a concert?

If an item of clothing does not appear as being permitted within the Concert Attire Guidelines for the particular ensemble in question, then you should not wear it for a concert.

When do I need to show up for a rehearsal?

Generally speaking, you should allow yourself enough time so that you are seated, tuned, and ready to play at the scheduled start time for the rehearsal. Rehearsal schedules are posted on the ensemble bulletin boards located in the plaza-level lobby of the south elevator in the Conservatory building. These schedules are subject to change, sometimes at the last moment, so it is very important to make checking the bulletin boards a part of your daily routine. Conductors will sometimes use more time than they had originally anticipated rehearsing a particular piece, so do not become impatient if you show up on time and have to wait.

When do I need to show up for a concert?

Call times for concerts are generally 30 minutes before the scheduled performance. You should be present for check-in no later than the call time indicated, and you must be fully dressed in appropriate concert attire before you will be allowed to check-in. Anyone arriving for check-in later than 15 minutes after the posted call time will be officially considered late. Unexcused lateness to a performance call will result in a drop in grade of at least one full grade level.

My instrument is broken. What do I do about today’s rehearsal?

Contact the Ensemble Office to arrange for a substitute instrument so that a service is not missed. In most cases we can provide an instrument for you to use temporarily while you are having repairs made to your own. Missing a service due to instrument repairs will not be considered an excused absence.

I don’t feel well. What should I do?

In case of illness, it is your responsibility to notify the Ensemble Office immediately and, with the exception of string players in ensembles with four or more players to a part, to find a player to substitute for you and to check with the Ensemble Office to make certain that the substitute player is acceptable. You are also responsible for ensuring that your music is either delivered to the substitute player or to the Ensemble Office prior to the scheduled rehearsal time. You must also submit an Ensemble Excuse Request Form within one week following the date of the absence.

I’m having arm problems. Should I come to rehearsal?

If you are experiencing pain because of tendonitis, repetitive stress injury (RSI), carpal tunnel syndrome, or related conditions, it is best that you not play your instrument and seek the advice of a health care professional. However, if you still expect to perform in the concert program in question you are still required to attend rehearsals, even if you cannot play your instrument for up to a week. This is so that you will not miss the opportunity to make critical performance related notations in your parts and listen to the directions of the conductor. If your condition is such that it will prevent you from performing, you must submit suitable medical documentation to the Ensemble Office.

I’m sick and can’t make rehearsal. What should I do with my music?

Woodwind, brass, harp, and percussion players are required to provide an acceptable substitute, providing the substitute or the Ensemble Office with their part(s), and should inform the ensemble manager who to expect in their place at the rehearsal. String players in ensembles with less than four players to a part are also required to provide a substitute, provide them with the music, and inform the ensemble manager who to expect in their place.

I don’t like my stand partner. What can I do?

It should be recognized that as a part of your professional training at Peabody, you will sometimes be expected to work with some people with whom you might not normally wish to associate. A rehearsal or performance is not a social occasion, at least not for the performers. You are there to do a job, and should make every attempt to put your personal likes and dislikes aside for the sake of the ensemble as a whole. However, if you feel that the situation is severe enough to pose a threat to the well being of the ensemble, you should request an appointment to discuss the matter privately with Melina Gajger.

When are auditions?

Please see Large Ensemble Placement Auditions page for details.

I have a problem with my assigned audition time. What can I do?

You absolutely must be available on the scheduled date and time for your ensemble placement audition. There will be no late auditions – there will be no exceptions.

How do I obtain the music for my ensemble auditions?

The required excerpts for large instrumental ensemble placement are available as PDF files here.

I need a copy of a part for a professional audition. Can I get that from the Ensemble Office?

The Ensemble Library collection is for the exclusive use of Peabody ensembles, and is a non-circulating collection, meaning that you cannot check out a part for your use in a professional audition. Most parts for standard orchestral repertoire in the public domain are available from publishers such as Kalmus Editions, and you should contact them to obtain a part. In certain rare instances when a part may not be readily available and we have it in our collection, we may be able to provide a copy for you. This is done only as time permits and cannot be done for any music which is not in the public domain.

How do I audition for the Conductors’ Orchestra?

Assignment to the Conductors’ Orchestra is offered on an as-needed basis. Eligibility is determined during the large ensemble placement auditions in the fall semester. Students may indicate their interest in participating with the Conductors’ Orchestra by answering the relevant question on the Ensemble Audition Information Form they fill out at the fall placement auditions. The audition judges will make a determination as to the suitability of the student for Conductors’ Orchestra, and the Ensemble Office will post the seating assignments.

I want to practice, but my stand partner has the music. What can I do?

The Ensemble Office ensures that all string players will have either a real part or a practice part for their use in all programs except operas. Stand partners for operas should make fair and equitable arrangements between themselves regarding the sharing of their parts for individual practice. Be sure to exchange important contact information with your stand partner, such as your telephone number and email address, as soon as seating arrangements are determined.

Do I need to make an appointment with the Ensemble Office if I have questions?

Provided that your questions are fairly routine in nature, you do not generally have to make an appointment with the Ensemble Office. You are welcome to stop by in person anytime the office is open, or you can call us on the phone at the numbers listed here. If your question doesn’t require an immediate answer you can email the appropriate staff member. If, on the other hand, you have the type of question or concern which might require a significant amount of time to explain or discuss, then an appointment would be appropriate. Again, stop by the office, or call or email the appropriate staff member to arrange a convenient time to meet.

What are the hours of the Ensemble Office?

Our office hours tend to vary quite a bit from time to time due to the nature of rehearsal and performance activities. We are open most weekday mornings by around 10:00, and usually close at around 5:30 or 6:00 in the evening.

I want to do a rental piece for my degree recital. What do I have to do?

Students wishing to perform works which are only available on a rental basis must work through the Ensemble Office. Following the submission of an approved music requisition form, the Ensemble Office will contact the publisher to obtain a quote on a rental fee, check with the performer as to whether this fee is acceptable, and then set up the rental if the performer decides to go ahead with the performance. Students are not authorized to deal directly with music publishers for performances presented at Peabody or under the aegis of Peabody. Students will be required to pay for all rentals by the end of the semester during which the piece is performed. All ensemble music used in performance, be it rental or otherwise, must be returned to the Ensemble Office within a week following the performance or additional fees may be assessed.

I have a class the same time as ensemble rehearsal. What should I do?

Absences or lateness due to scheduling conflicts with private lessons or classes will not be excused. This applies to extra lessons and make-ups as well. It is your responsibility to arrange your schedule so as to avoid conflicts. It is also particularly important that degree recitals are scheduled so that no conflicts are created with any ensemble rehearsal or performance at which your presence is required.

I want to hire Peabody musicians to perform at a wedding or other private function. Does the Ensemble Office handle these types of requests?

No. Requests for hiring Peabody musicians to perform at private functions should be directed to our Music Entrepreneurship and Career Center.