Current First Year Undergraduates

As a current freshman, you have the option of choosing your housing assignment in the residence hall for your upcoming sophomore year. As a reminder, all freshmen and sophomores are required to live in university housing unless they are living at home with a parent or legal guardian. Students who wish to apply for commuter exemption can access the form HERE. Please note: students subject to the residency requirement who do not choose a space during the room selection process will be assigned to a residence hall space during the summer and billed for housing and food.

Applying for Housing

Details regarding the housing selection process will be sent to your university e-mail account.

Polices & Procedures

Liability Policy

As stated in your housing contract, Johns Hopkins University is not responsible for damage to or disappearance of a student’s or their guest’s personal possessions unless such damage or disappearance is proven to be the result of the sole negligence of the university. This policy includes, but is not limited to, items in student rooms, bike rooms, trunk rooms, and music rooms. Just as in a private home, sometimes things happen that cannot be foreseen, and items are damaged. The university will do everything possible to expedite cleanup of the facility.

Because of the possibility of damage or theft, it is a good idea for students to insure their possessions. In some cases this can be done through the parent’s homeowners policy. If this is not possible, we strongly urge you to consider a renter’s policy. The University has found a company that specializes in serving the collegiate environment: National Student Services, Inc. Information is available through both housing offices. For more information, please visit the National Student Services, Inc. website.

Requests for Special Housing Accommodations

Medical documentation is required to request special housing placement for any reason. Special housing placements are granted based only on medically-documented need. No request can be considered for any circumstances beyond documented medical needs. All documents should be submitted to the office of Disability Resources. The request will be evaluated and approval or denial will be communicated directly to the student. The types of accommodations provided are dependent on the impact of the student’s disability.

Single Room Accommodations

Sophomores interested in selecting a single room may do so during the room selection period. While there are a number of private rooms available for selections, a single room cannot be guaranteed unless the student has an approved request for accommodations through the Office of Disability Resources. Requests for a single room as an accommodation based solely on a desire to have a “quiet, undisturbed place to study” will not be granted by Disability Resources. By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of people living under one roof, it is not logical to assume that having a private room would provide for such quiet, distraction-free space to any appreciable degree beyond living in a standard double room. Requests for a single room as an accommodation requires documentation from a qualified medical professional that demonstrates a link between the request and disability.

Applying for Housing Accommodations

  1. Register with Office of Disability Resources and provide documentation of your disability.
  2. Once your housing application and request for accommodation have been submitted, they will be reviewed by Student Disability Services and University Housing. Assignments are made based on availability of housing and approved housing accommodations.

All requests for special housing accommodations and supplemental medical documentation must be received by the Office of Disability Resources no later than June 1. Please note you must still submit your Housing Contract online through the Housing Portal by June 15.

Move-In, Residence Hall Closures & Travel Plans

Before making travel plans (and booking airline/train/bus tickets) for move-in and/or breaks, students should be sure to refer to the Academic calendar for that year. Please look out for an updated calendar for the upcoming year to be published in mid to late Spring.

Residence hall closing and opening dates and times are firm. For Winter Break, all students must vacate the Residence Hall.

Gender Inclusive Housing

Housing assignments at Peabody are processed based on a student’s gender identity. Our standard process is to divide students by gender identity, and make roommate assignments only between students of matching gender identities.

We realize that this is an imperfect system, and that there are a number of students who may or may not identify as a man or woman. In an effort to create a welcoming environment to all of our students, we allow for any student to opt in to a gender-inclusive roommate assignment process. If you choose to opt in to this process, then your roommate assignment will be processed based solely on the responses you provide to the roommate matching survey, and will not factor in your gender identity or the gender identity of your roommate. If you do not opt in to this process, then we will only consider a roommate whose gender identity matches your own.

Please note that while we can accommodate gender fluidity in the room assignment process, the physical structure of our halls only allows for two restroom options – Men’s and Women’s. Students are welcome to use the restroom that most closely matches their gender identity, however we do not have a true gender neutral restroom available in the residence halls.

If you feel that our processes do not adequately account for your own gender identity, and you would like to discuss your room/roommate assignment further, then please reach out to our office at [email protected].

Meal Plans

Dining Programs offers the Anytime, 19-meal, and 14-meal plan choices for Sophomores. Visit the Meal Plans page to learn more.