Established in 1983 by the estate of Barbara Stouffer, in memory of her parents.
Established in 1981 with funds raised by a concert featuring Mr. Borge, a well-known humorist and musician, to provide support for piano students.
Established in 1984 by sisters Madeleine Skirven France and Hazel Skirven in memory of their uncle, a choral composer and arranger who taught at Peabody.
Established in 1982 in memory of Dr. Cheslock (AD ’21, Composition) who taught at Peabody for over 50 years by his wife, Elise Cheslock (’29, Piano) and many other family members.
Established in 1988 by Ms. Donato (BM ’54, Music Education) to assist undergraduate clarinet students.
Established in 1983 for piano or violin students by a bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Elle. Mr. Elle was an orchestral conductor in his native Germany prior to World War II, then served with U.S. Army Intelligence until he retired and began a career as a piano tuner.
Established in 1987 by Mr. and Mrs. Filby for orchestral or voice students. Mr Filby, who held positions as library assistant director at Peabody, rare book librarian at Cambridge University, director of the Cambridge University Philosophical Society Library, and director of the Maryland Historical Society, also endowed a fund to support the Filby Rare Book room in the Peabody Archives.
Established in 1987 for piano students by the estate of Mr. Forbush, who studied physics at the Johns Hopkins University in the 1930s.
Established in 1988 by Beverly Beck and other donors from the River Road Church of Richmond, Virginia, in honor of Mr. Freeman’s 20th anniversary as minister of music and organist. Mr. Freeman, (UC ’59, BM ’62, Organ) has served as president of the Peabody Alumni Association and on the Johns Hopkins Alumni Council.
Established in 1980 in memory of Mr. Goldman by their son, Daniel Franko Goldman, and numerous friends and colleagues. Richard Goldman, director of Peabody from 1968 to 1977, was a composer and teacher who directed the Baltimore Symphony for eight years.
Established in 1981 by Elizabeth Imbrogulio and her son, in memory of her husband, to support string students. Joseph Imbrogulio (UC 1916, Violin) played at the premiere of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and was the musical director for WFBR radio for over 40 years.
Established in 1985 for piano and violin students by a bequest from Kurt D. and Jennie K. Elle. Born in Germany, Kurt Elle was an orchestral conductor there until he was forced to flee the Nazis in 1933. He then worked for U.S. Army Intelligence and immigrated to the U.S. where he began a career in piano maintenance.
Established in 1981 for piano students by David B. Konoson and Judith K. Sykes in memory of their mother, who attended Peabody in 1916.
Established in 1980 for students of the tuba, trombone, or euphonium by Mr. Markert’s mother, Dorothy Markert Cushman and several friends in his memory. Mr. Markert (MM ’69, Music Education) was an original member of the Peabody Ragtime Ensemble.
Established in 1983 by the estate of Mr. Masland to support french horn or piano students.
Established in 1985 in memory of Mr. Menehan for flute students by Roger Dalsheimer (A&S ’49).
Established in 1984 for violin students by Mrs. Oliven in honor of her teacher Mr. Heifetz, who was a member of the Peabody faculty.
Established in 1988 by a bequest from Mr. Oursler to support piano students.
Established in 1981 by Jack Pearlstone in memory of his wife, Peggy Meyerhoff Pearlstone.
Established in 1980 by the Bel Canto Singers in memory of Ms. Pickus, who founded and directed the group.
Established in 1985 for piano students by Mrs. Rosette, Peab ’19, who taught privately in New York and wrote over 100 songs for children prior to her death in 1991.
Established in 1988 for students of composition by Mr. Rothschild, a 1931 graduate of the Johns Hopkins University who attended the Peabody Preparatory. From the Baltimore area, he served as a Peabody trustee and as a member of the Peabody National Advisory Council.
Established in 1987 by Venable, Baetjer & Howard in honor of Mr. Schlenger, A&S ’44, a senior partner at the Baltimore law firm and a University trustee emeritus, who served from 1985 to 1998. He also served as a Peabody Conservatory trustee and was a member of the Peabody Advisory Council.
Established in 1984 by a bequest from Mrs. Silver to support violin students.
Established in 1985 by Albert Silverman, 1933 and 1952 Johns Hopkins University alumnus, to support piano students, in memory of his wife, Rosa Silverman (UC ’29, Piano).
Established in 1983 by the estate of Fortuna Iseman Klotz in honor of her sister. Mrs. Klotz was well-known in Baltimore as an amateur championship golfer, a sculptor, painter, and music lover.
Established in 1982 by the Alvin and Fanny Blaustein Thalheimer Foundation of Baltimore in memory of Mrs. Thalheimer, who studied piano at the Preparatory as a child.
Established in 1981 by the estate of composer Howard. E. Thatcher.
Established in 1983 by a bequest from Zaidee T. Thomas.
Established in 1984 for Maryland-born piano or violin students by the estate of Kathryn Tydings Eager in honor of her brother and by Mary Eager Campbell, Mrs. Eager’s niece. Mrs. Eager studied violin at Peabody in 1923-24. Senator Millard Tydings represented Maryland in the U.S. Senate for 24 years.
Established in 1984 by the Aber D. Unger Foundation to support students studying brass instruments.
Established in 1982 by the estate of Frances Wentz Turner to support voice and vocal accompaniment students in memory of her great-aunt.
Established in 1985 for graduate students by a bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Wonderlic. Wonderlic was a 1927 graduate of Brown University, where he played the drums in the dance band. During the summer, he played in cruise ship orchestras. In 1942 was sent to manage the Mutual Life Insurance Company branch in Baltimore, where he was active in many musical organizations, serving on the boards of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, the Baltimore Opera Company, and the Lyric Foundation.
Established in 1986 by Mellasenah Y. Morris (BM ’68, MM ’71, DMA ’80, Piano) in memory of her father. Dr. Morris serves on the faculty and will retire from her current position of Conservatory Dean in the summer of 2014.