Awarded on an annual basis to a Conservatory student who has displayed great proficiency and mastery in the playing and interpretation of the works of J.S. Bach.
Established in 1961 when the B&O Glee Club disbanded, at which time the club’s assets were given to Peabody.
Established in 1965 by the foundation, which in accordance with the terms of Mr. Beaumont’s will, was terminated in 1977 on the 35th anniversary of his death. With over $30 million in assets, the Beaumont Foundation was the largest private foundation in Cleveland before the final distribution of funds.
Established in 1978 by Alvin and Fanny Blaustein Thalheimer in memory of her father, Louis Baustein. Additional support has come from the Louis and Henrietta Blaustein Foundation. Mr. Blaustein, co-founder of Amoco and president of American Trading and Production Corporation, and his wife were great supporters of arts in Baltimore. Their daughter, Mrs. Thalheimer studied piano in the Preparatory as a child and went on to become a member of the Peabody Board of Trustees.
Established in 1971 by Jesse Wallach in memory of his wife, who taught piano at Peabody. The scholarship has also received support from former students and friends of Ms. Brown.
Established in 1977 by a bequest from Mrs. Clemmitt, a 1914 alumna, who taught at Peabody for several years and whose father was the librarian at Peabody.
Established in 1976 by a bequest from Grace Spofford to aid students who excel in teaching piano in memory of Ms. Coulson, who taught piano at Peabody for 45 years before retiring in 1939.
Established in 1974 by Roland del Mar in memory of his mother. Mr. del Mar was president of the Charles del Mar Foundation which continues to support the scholarship; it assists Conservatory students from Central and South America and the Caribbean.
Established in 1967 to support composition students by Robert Dragon and Sonia Dragon Rosen in memory of their son, Richard Joel Dragon, who studied piano at the Preparatory.
Established in 1979 in memory of Miss Effenbach (AD ’35, piano) by her sister, Gertrude Gibson, (UC ’38, piano) and her nephew, Harry Gibson. Mrs. Gibson and Miss Effenbach appeared in concert as the “Effenbach Piano Duo.” Miss Effenbach, who played for the Armed Forces in the South Pacific and performed in Hong Kong, Korea, and Tokyo, later was a piano teacher in Los Angeles.
Established for voice students in 1971 by former students, friends, and colleagues in memory of Mr. Gange, a Peabody faculty member from 1932 to 1958, who also taught at the Juilliard School. Mr. Gange and his wife, Amy Gange, were well-known singers. Former student Nyla Wright Woodside (UC ’49, Voice) and Henry F. Constantine (’45, Voice) a friend, coordinated fund raising for the award.
Established in 1966 in memory of composer and conductor Asger Hamerik, who was the director of Peabody from 1871 to 1898. Hamerik hired musician and poet Sidney Lanier as principal flute in the original Peabody Orchestra, one of only five professional orchestras in the U.S. at the time. Mr. Lanier later joined the Arts and Sciences faculty at the Johns Hopkins University.
Established in 1978 for graduate piano students by a bequest from Martha M. C. den Tex in memory of her mother, Ida Heyser, a 1896 alumna of Peabody.
Established in 1970 by friends and colleagues in memory of Mr. Hines, who came to Peabody in 1946 to study organ and later served as secretary to two directors, the associate dean, and the registrar. He was also the organist and choir director at Saint Philip and James Church in Baltimore for 12 years.
Established in 1965 by the Hoffberger Foundation and the National Brewery. A second scholarship was created in 1981 to support students who are residents of Baltimore City.
Established in 1979 by family and friends to support voice students in memory of Mr. Howard, who attended Peabody in 1941. Additional funds have been contributed in memory of Rosario Calderaro and Salvatore Calderaro.
Established in 1965 by a bequest from Mrs. Kriel.
Established by a bequest from Mr. Lewis who studied harp and organ in the conservatory from 1902-1916.
Established in 1972 by the estate of Marie Blake to support violin students.
Established in 1969 by a bequest from Ms. McKim, an international violin virtuoso who studied at the Royal School of Music in Berlin, performed throughout the U.S. and Europe, and received the Mendelssohn State Prize and a Victoria Star. The award assists a violin student in the field of composition.
Established in 1961 by a bequest from Adelaide S. Moffett in memory of her husband who studied Double Bass at Peabody in 1946.
Established in 1969 by the fraternity Phi Mu Alpha.
Established in 1978 to support cello students by Daniel and Jephta Drachman in memory of her father, a world-renowned cellist. Mrs. Drachman was a member of the Peabody National Advisory Council, and Dr. Drachman is professor of neurology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Established in 1978 by the Blaustein-Rosenberg-Thalheimer family group of foundations in honor of Ruth Blaustein Rosenberg (’37, Voice) who later became a Peabody trustee and Advisory Council Member. The family also endowed the Ruth Blaustein Rosenberg Director of Orchestral Activities.
Established in 1977 for guitar students by New Jersey residents Charles J. and Carole J. Shea in memory of their son, who studied guitar at the Conservatory.
Established in 1964 for piano students by family and friends in honor of Mr. Sklarevski, a composer and concert pianist.
Established in 1964 for violin students by William L. Marbury in honor of his grandmother, Mrs. Slingluff. Mr. Marbury studied at Peabody in 1915 and was awarded an honorary degree in 1967.
Established to support graduate piano students in memory of Grace Spofford, who got a Teaching Certificate from Peabody in 1913 and a certificate in organ in 1916. She then went on to work in the Conservatory Dean’s office, and later became Dean of The Curtis Institute.
Established in 1961 by Alfred Willard in memory of his wife to support voice students. Mrs. Willard was a member of Peabody’s voice faculty from 1916 to 1921.
Established to support piano students by a bequest from Ms. Winston who graduated from Peabody in 1911.
Established in 1973 by Miriam Wertheimer in memory of her husband.