**Update** Peabody no longer requires the Interdivisional Registration (IDR) Form. Requests for courses in another division may be submitted directly to SEAM without the form. Please follow the instructions below.
IDR courses must be taken for credit, not audit.
Course drop and withdrawal deadlines for the visited division such as Homewood/ASEN apply instead of Peabody’s deadlines.
Eligible Peabody students may request to take courses at Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, the Whiting School of Engineering, the Carey Business School, the School of Education, and, depending upon program of study requirements, the School of Nursing, during fall and spring semesters. Part-time students should note that course costs will be charged by the visited institution. Additionally, Summer and Intersession courses are not included in full time Peabody tuition and will result in additional charges.
1. Search SIS for available courses and prerequisites at the JHU campus or division that you wish to visit for study.
2. It is recommended, but not required, that students obtain the necessary written approvals from instructors in advance. Email approval is acceptable. Please note that it is recommended that students obtain permission from the instructor in advance due to course space priority, restrictions, course prerequisites, and related enrollment requirements, if applicable. Requests without appropriate or sufficient approvals may be declined by the visiting campus registration area, along with those declined due to space or priority enrollment limitations.
3. Submit a SEAM request ticket (sign-in on the website at https://support.sis.jhu.edu/find-answers/records-and-registration/interdivisional-registration) to request the course from the JHU division that you wish to register for. Please include the following information in the ticket.
4. SEAM will review requests and respond as needed. Please know that requests are entered into SIS as requested/pending for review by the other divisions’ registration team. Priority for courses is with students in the home division. Other divisions typically begin processing Peabody students’ requests in early August for the fall semester, and December and January for the spring semester. As such, it is possible that a course may have spaces available when the form is submitted, but become full when the visited division begins processing requests from Peabody students. Please plan ahead.
5. Receive the results of your request via SIS notification after the other division begins reviewing registration requests from Peabody students in accordance with #4 above.
6. Please contact SEAM with questions about the process or a submission at any time online at https://seam.jhu.edu or by telephone at 1-877-419-5131. The Peabody’s Registrar’s Office is also a point of contact.
Request may be submitted to SEAM as early as the preregistration period for the home institution. However, the visited institution will not begin registration for Peabody students until a few weeks before the start of courses. For the fall semester, Peabody students’ registration at the visited institution is usually in early August. In the spring semester, Peabody students’ registration at the visited institution is usually in December and January.
Students must follow the host (division where you are taking a course) division’s deadlines for adding, dropping, or withdrawing from courses. Courses taken at other JHU divisions must be taken for a letter grade. Visited campuses do not permit Peabody students to join SIS wait lists for courses at the visited campus.
To avoid being declined for a course, please check the following before submitting your interdivisional course request:
Alerts/Holds—check your SIS account for any alerts about holds and clear them with the appropriate office. Holds may prevent your ability to register.
Prerequisites—check the course description for any prerequisites. Peabody students often have to contact the course instructor to provide information as to what coursework or other preparation methods they have had that they believe will satisfy prerequisites. If the instructor agrees that the prerequisites have been met, then obtain that permission in writing via email or signature If requirements are not met, and approval has not been received, your request will be declined.
Approval Required—check the course description for any additional approval requirements. Approvals must be obtained and submitted with the IDR request or the request will be declined.
Course Status—students will be declined if a course section is full. If a section is full, you must submit a new interdivisional course request. To check the status of a section, search http://sis.jhu.edu/classes and the status (open or closed) is listed on the far right.