The Main Entrance to Peabody is at 17 E. Mount Vernon Place.
We’re excited to have you visit our beautiful campus in the heart of historic Mount Vernon!
We encourage you to schedule tours three days in advance, which you can arrange here. However, you are welcome to visit the Peabody Institute at other times with our self-guided tour brochure available from the admissions office.
Peabody is open during the summer and visitors can tour our halls, facilities, and 19th century architecture. Many faculty and students are not on campus during the summer, so this would be a nice, quiet time to see a behind-the-scenes tour of our campus.
During the School Year
If you want a sense of how the school feels on a day-to-day basis, the school year is a great time to visit. You can hear music coming from every practice room, studio, and hall. Because of our small class size, tours will not visit classrooms or private lessons, but you will have the opportunity to visit large ensemble rehearsals and meet students and faculty across the campus.
If you would like to visit a particular teacher during your visit, we ask you arrange those meetings on your own before setting up a tour.
Audition week is held the third week in February (President’s Day week) and offers unique opportunities for those who plan to apply to Peabody. During Audition week, we schedule daily tours as well as meetings for parents. Studio lessons and classes are not offered during Audition week, but students on campus are happy to answer your questions.
If you are any other type of group (high school bands, music appreciation clubs, social groups, etc.) please fill out this form.
When you arrive at BWI Airport, check with the ground transportation desk in the baggage area. There is a “Super Shuttle” service that leaves every twenty minutes for various destinations (there may be longer wait times). The shuttle costs about $21.00 per person one-way ($12 for each additonal person). The shuttle will drop you off at Peabody or your hotel. For more information call: 1-800-BLUE-VAN or visit supershuttle.com
A BWI taxi can take you to Peabody for roughly $30-35 (this is approximate rate). Actual rates will vary depending on location. Maryland law prohibits flat rates. For more information, visit bwiairporttaxi.com.
The Light Rail leaves the airport every 20 minutes. The fare is $1.60 each way, and total travel time runs around 45 minutes. The closest stop to Peabody is on Centre Street, about 3 blocks west of campus. For walking directions from this stop continue here.
MARC and Amtrak trains run from BWI Rail Station to Penn Station in Baltimore. The MARC train is $4 and only runs on weekdays. For Amtrak schedules and fairs, visit amtrak.com. MARC and Light Rail information can be found at mtamaryland.com. Taxis are available when you get to Penn Station, and will get you to Peabody for about $6. (All prices quoted are subject to change.)
From the North
- Take I-95 South or I-83 South to the Baltimore Beltway (695 West towards Towson).
- From the Baltimore Beltway, take I-83 South again.
- About 10 minutes after entering I-83, take the St. Paul St. exit toward downtown Baltimore.
- About 10 blocks South on St. Paul you will cross Mt. Vernon Place (there will be a park and a tall monument to your right).
- Immediately get into the right lane where our Peabody Parking Garage entrance is located.
- The entrance is on the right side of St. Paul St. at Centre St.
From the South
- Take I-95 North to Exit 53 for I-395 North.
- Follow the signs to Inner Harbor.
- Turn Right on Pratt Street.
- Turn Left on Charles Street (one-way North).
- Follow Charles Street north one mile to Baltimore’s Washington Monument. The Monument is in the middle of Mount Vernon Place. Peabody occupies a whole city block bounded by Charles Street, Mount Vernon Place, St. Paul Street, and Centre Street.
- Turn Right onto Mount Vernon Place.
- To park in the Peabody Garage, continue on Mount Vernon Place for one block and turn Right on St. Paul Street. The entrance to the garage will be on your right side.
606 Saint Paul Street
Monday through Friday 6:30 am-9:30 pm;
Saturday 7:30 am-5:30 pm;
Sunday 12:30 pm-5:30 pm
There is a fee for parking in the Peabody Garage.
Space is limited in the Peabody Garage. Here are some other options if you are planning a visit to the campus:
Baltimore Sun Garage
601 N. Calvert Street (enter from East Monument Street)
600 Cathedral Street (Across from the Walters Art Museum)
Franklin Street Garage
15 West Franklin Street (Overnight parking available)
The nearest Light Rail Stop is Centre Street. (For fares and schedules go to mtamaryland.com.)
- From the Centre Street station, proceed East on Centre Street approximately 3 blocks to Charles Street.
- Turn Left on Charles Street and proceed for one block towards the Washington Monument.
- At the Monument, turn right onto Mount Vernon Place.
- Take a cab to the Peabody Institute. (Give the driver the 1 E. Mount Vernon Place address.)
- Take the number 61 MTA Bus south on St. Paul Street. (For fares & schedules go to mtamaryland.com.)
- Take a 16 minute walk down historic Charles Street, heading south toward the Washington Monument. Take a left after the monument onto East Mount Vernon Place.