plus📅TriangleTriangleclockplusemailoutfaxinstagramlocationGroup 13phonepinterestplayplus💲search
AY 19-20 1-1: General Information

Introduction and Nomenclature

The Peabody Institute was founded in 1857. Music instruction began in 1868, and the first diploma was awarded in 1882. Following a long history of informal collaboration, the institute affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University in 1977 and became a constituent school of the University in 1986.

The title “Peabody Institute” refers to the original name of the institution and the continuing nomenclature in the University’s official documents. For most purposes, Peabody operates as two divisions: the Peabody Preparatory and the Peabody Conservatory.

The Peabody Preparatory, founded in 1894, serves approximately 2,000 precollege and continuing education students on four campuses. More information about the Preparatory may be found on their webpages.

The Peabody Conservatory is the post-secondary or “college” division of Peabody, serving approximately 600 students in five degree programs and three diploma programs, on a historic campus in Baltimore’s Mt. Vernon neighborhood.

This is the catalog of the Conservatory, which awards degrees as “The Conservatory of the Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University,” and which may also be addressed as “the Johns Hopkins Peabody Conservatory.”