Skip Navigation

Graduate Programs

Master of Music

Peabody offers the following Master of Music (MM):

Master of Arts in Audio Sciences

The Master of Arts in Audio Sciences program is intended both for current audio professionals wishing to obtain a post-baccalaureate credential and for individuals with a background in science, technology, and/or music seeking additional training in order to gain employment in the audio industry.

Students entering the program are expected to have a Bachelor's degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Audio Technology, or Music. Undergraduate coursework must include one year of Physics, one year of Calculus, one year of audio fundamentals (the equivalent of Basic Recording I), and basic audio engineering knowledge (the equivalent of Basic Recording II). A background in music which includes courses in Music History, Sightsinging or Solfeggio (moveable or fixed Do), and skills sufficient to enter Music Theory I is also required.



Doctor of Musical Arts

The DMA program at Peabody has equal emphasis on academics and performance. DMA programs are available in various tracks (dissertation, performance, or pedagogy) depending on major. Note that D.M.A. auditions are only held during our February audition period. Successful applicants must demonstrate ability in scholarly writing as well as in performance.



Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships are available to qualified students who have been admitted to graduate programs (MM, AD, GPD, DMA) as full-time candidates. If you want to be considered for an assistantship, you will complete an assistantship application alongside your application for admission.

Assistantship Offerings

The Johns Hopkins University Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available on the University’s website at
In keeping with the mandates of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the University’s Annual Report contains statistics of certain crimes that are reported and that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University or an officially recognized student organization, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus for the three most recent calendar years. Also included are campus security policies including those related to missing student notifications, alcohol and drug use, sexual assault, relationship violence, and stalking, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, and fire safety policies and statistics. All Johns Hopkins faculty, staff and students are encouraged to read and print out the report at, and to report all criminal incidents promptly to your respective security department.
A printed copy of the annual crime report may be obtained from the security offices of Johns Hopkins:
Homewood Campus 410-516-4631; Peabody Institute 410-234-4600; Medical Institutions 410-614-3473; Applied Physics Laboratory 443-778-7176; School of Advanced International Studies, D.C. 202-663-5808; or from the deans/directors/coordinators for our JHU Campuses and centers at: Baltimore, MD (Harbor East) 410-234-9301; Columbia, MD 410-516-9700; Bologna, Italy 202-663-5808; International +39.051.2917.811; Washington, D.C. Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts and Sciences 202-663-5808; Nanjing, China 202-663-5808; International +86.25.8359.2436; Washington, D.C.- Carey Business School 202-663-5808;  Montgomery County, MD 301-294-7011.  


Make a Gift